What This Is
- This is my Illinois history blog, a chance for me, a professional historian, to delve into topics both obscure and apocryphal, regarding my home state;
- This is, “A History of Illinois,” so not encyclopedic nor definitive. The big names will make appearances here, but perhaps not in ways that you’d expect.
- It will (hopefully) be a scholarly endeavor as well. I footnote grocery lists. Well, not really, but you take my point. Historical writing, to my way of thinking, isn’t of much use if the sources are unknown. Don’t worry; if you want to ignore the citations, you can do that.
- It will also be a place where I can work out ideas that might appear elsewhere, but you read them here first, so there’s that.
What This Isn’t
- This will not be a nostalgia trip, although topics of history and memory might just be discussed.
- This will involve my personal reflections on the topic at hand, but nothing more.
- This will not be a forum for debating the affairs of the day. That’s why you pay a therapist or irritate the person next to you on the bus.
- This will not be a Chicago-centric treatment of Illinois history. Yes, Chicago is in Illinois. Yes, its history is important and interesting. No, don’t choose to write much about it here.